Monday, November 11, 2013

 
 Masterminds & Wingmen, written by Rosalind Wiseman, is a masterful nonfiction book written to guide readers through the treacherous minefields of parenting boys. Wiseman's insight into "Boy World" can be helpful to not only parents, but teachers and coaches, as well.

As a mother of a thirteen-year-old boy, I am always in need of guidance when it comes to understanding the thoughts and actions of my son and his friends. This book covers topics such as lying, social networking, video games, girls and more. My favorite aspect of this book is that tools are given to help the reader have a productive conversation with a boy. For instance, Wiseman gives dialogue starters to guide a parent through difficult discussions. Also helpful are the "Landmines" offered in each chapter, which are comments and actions that adults should avoid.

I suspect that I will be using this book as a reference for the next five or six years. After having read this manual, I feel much better about addressing some of the more difficult topics of parenting. This is a must-read for anyone dealing with pre-teen and teenage boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment