Saturday, January 28, 2017

Remove Chipped Paint from Stainless Steel Water Bottles


Before
After


Don't you hate it when the paint on your stainless steel coffee mugs and water bottles begin to peel? If you want to get a uniform appearance back to your water bottle, you can remove the remaining outer paint for a natural stainless steel look.

Why use harmful chemicals that can get into the inside of your bottle that holds your drinking water? Use this easy process instead.

It takes about 10 minutes to remove the paint on the bottle. Some paints will remove faster, others take a couple minutes longer.

Equipment Needed:

white vinegar
large pot
stainless steel sponge





Procedure:

1. Fill pot with white vinegar
2. Bring the vinegar to a boil
3. Remove from heat
4. Immediately put water bottle in the vinegar
5. Soak in hot vinegar for 2-4 minutes, to soften the outer paint
6. Remove from pot and immediately scrub the paint with a metal sponge
7. If paint becomes difficult to remove, return bottle to the hot vinegar to re-soften the paint


Before
After


8 comments:

  1. Thank you! Doing this to my chipping S'Well bottle asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my S'well bottles has chipped and feels rough so I will try this too. Thank you

      Delete
  2. I just did this on my Contigo water bottle, and it worked extremely well. No more peeling purple paint! BE WARNED. The boiling vinegar reeks and will stink up your entire house. It would work better if you had a camp stove and did it outside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it sans the vinigar... Just scrubbed it with a so's pad after soaking it in hot tap water in the sink... Worked great!

      Delete
  3. It worked on my water bottle too. I am glad I found this post since I was thinking of donating my bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worked great! Amazed how much paint came off just from soaking the bottle in vinegar. Took some scrubbing to get the rest free, but definitely worth it. I found that running it under hot water after soaking also helped loosen up the paint some more. I didn't find the vinegar smell to be too bad. I covered the pot while boiling and ran my vent to help with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this informative information about stainless steel thermos insulated bottle with us. It's very helpful. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. USE plastic sponge!!! i used this method, but with one of the plastic tefflon pan sponges (they look like the same material as the scotch brite copper, but they're plastic) and it didn't leave any scratches! My S'well is beautiful now!!!! I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!

    ReplyDelete